Both congregations of Grace and McCloud have returned to physical worship. But in order to serve those that are still staying home for health and medical reasons, we will continue to offer the livestream for the foreseeable future.
Watch past live-streamed services and pastoral updates on youtube. (click link below)
The Grace Community Presbyterian Church Livestream begins at 9am.
Isaiah: The God Who Holds Us. Sunday School with Jim Howe, Livestream begins right after Grace's worship service
The McCloud Community Presbyterian Church Livestream begins at 11am.
If the video doesn't work, try refreshing the page or watch it directly on Youtube
Below the video you will find the liturgy for today along with the prayers and Scriptures.
Call to Worship: Psalm 84:1-5, 7-12
Reader: How lovely is your dwelling place, O LORD of hosts! My soul longs, yes, faints for the courts of the LORD; my heart and flesh sing for joy to the living God.
People: Even the sparrow finds a home, and the swallow a nest for herself, where she may lay her young, at your altars, O LORD of hosts, my King and my God.
Reader: Blessed are those who dwell in your house, ever singing your praise! Blessed are those whose strength is in you, in whose heart are the highways to Zion. They go from strength to strength; each one appears before God in Zion.
People: O LORD God of hosts, hear my prayer; give ear, O God of Jacob! Behold our shield, O God; look on the face of your anointed!
Reader: For a day in your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere. I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God than dwell in the tents of wickedness. For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD bestows favor and honor.
Everyone: No good thing does he withhold from those who walk uprightly. O LORD of hosts, blessed is the one who trusts in you!
(9am @ GRACE)Singing: Click here for lyrics to all our songs for today (it will open up a document in another window and you can follow along when we sing)
(11am @ McCloud) Singing: Click here for lyrics to all our songs for today (it will open up a document in another window and you can follow along when we sing)
Call to Confession: 1 John 1:5-6, 8, 10
This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.
Silent Confession of Sin
Hear the Good News, the Assurance of Pardon! 1 John 1:7, 9, 2:1
But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. My little children, I am writing these things to you so that you may not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous.
Singing: Gloria Patri
Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Ghost, as it was in the beginning is now, and ever shall be, world without end. Amen, amen.
The Lord's Prayer
- Our Father, who art in heaven, hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For Thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory forever, amen.
Sermon: The Ordinary Means of Extraordinary Grace: The Church
Pastor Nick Welch
1. The Roots of the Church
- קָהֵל (Hebrew-qahal) = gathering, congregation
- ἐκκλησία (Greek-eklēssia) = church, assembly, congregation
- Joel 1:14, 2:16
- Matthew 4:23
- Matthew 16:18
- The church is: those called by God out of the world and into covenant fellowship with Him and one another, under the Lordship of Jesus Christ.
2. The Nature of the Church
- The church is both Invisible and Visible (Westminster Confession of Faith ch. 25, Westminster Larger Catechism Q61-69, Romans 9:6-11)
- Acts 2:41-47
- 11 unique characteristics of the visible church (based on Acts 2:41-47)
- Devotion to God’s Word though teaching and preaching (v42)
- Faithful fellowship with one another (v42)
- Receiving the Sacraments; Baptism (v41) and the Lord’s Supper (v42)
- Practicing public and private prayer (v42)
- Experiencing supernatural reverence for the works of God (v43)
- Demonstrating unity and generosity with one another (v44-45)
- Regularly participating in corporate worship (v46)
- Consistently showing hospitality toward one another (v46)
- Worshipping God communally (v47)
- Earning a good reputation with those outside of the Church (v47)
- Growing spiritually and numerically (v47)
- The Marks of the Church: (1) The true preaching of the Word, (2) the right administration of the Sacraments, and (3) the faithful exercise of discipline. (The EPC adds a 4th mark, Loving Fellowship.)
- 1 Timothy 3:14–15
3. Experiencing God’s Grace Through the Church
1. If you are not a member, please come talk to me about the importance of joining the church as a member.
2. If you have been attending church irregularly, please consider the importance of consistently participating in corporate worship every Lord’s Day.
- It is important to note that this is not a suggestion from Pastor Nick but a command from God (Exodus 20:8, Hebrews 10:24–25)
3. If you are friends with those who used to attend our church regularly but have since stopped and are not attending anywhere, take time to pray for them and then begin intentionally and regularly inviting them to come to worship with you.
- The Church Militant - The Church Triumphant
- Matthew 16:18
Resources for further study
- The Westminster Larger Catechism #'s 61-69
- The Westminster Confession of Faith ch. 25
- Pastoral Letter on the Importance of Church Membership by Pastor NickCan I Be a Christian and NOT Attend a Local Church? by Matthew Everhard (video)
- The Church and Israel in the Old Testament (Ligonier article)
- The Church and Israel in the New Testament (Ligonier article)
- Israel and the Church (infographic)
- The New Covenant Community as True Israel: The use of Exodus 19:5-6 in 1 Peter 2:9 (Academic Paper by Pastor Nick)
- Praying the Bible by Donald Whitney (video)
- The Valley of Vision, a collection of Puritan prayers (read online for free) (purchase book)
- If God is Sovereign, Why Pray? by R.C. Sproul (video)
- A Call to Prayer by JC Ryle (booklet, free PDF)
- The Lord's Prayer by John Gerstner Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4, Part 5, Part 6, Part 7, Part 8
The Lord's Supper:
- Basics of the Reformed Faith: The Lord’s Supper by Kim Riddlebarger (article)
- "Jesus never consecrated PBJ or Coca-Cola!" by RC Sproul (short video)
- A Summary of the Lord's Supper by John Knox (article)
- The Lord's Supper (pt. 1) by John Girstner (video)
- The Lord's Supper (pt. 2) by John Girstner (video)
- Re-Thinking the Lord's Supper by Michael Horton (article)
- The Reformed View: The Lord's Supper by Matthew Everhard (video)
- The Westminster Larger Catechism #'s 165-167
- The Westminster Confession ch. 28
- Sermon on infant baptism by Pastor Nick Welch: The Basis and Blessing of Covenant Baptism
- An Overview of Baptism by Francis Schaeffer
- EPC Book of Worship chapter on Baptism (pg. 142, BoW ch. 3)
The Word of God:
- Bryan Chapell - The Power of Christ-Centered Preaching (video)
- How To Listen To A Sermon (article)
- Click for Bible Reading Plans
The Means of Grace:
Praise God from whom all blessings flow
Praise Him all creatures here below
Praise Him above ye heavenly hosts
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost
Benediction: Colossians 3:16–17
Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly, teaching and admonishing one another in all wisdom, singing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, with thankfulness in your hearts to God. And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
Tithes and Offerings Info:
- Mail checks to PO Box 219 Weed, CA 96094
- For questions contact Gerry Watson, email@example.com or 530.938.1020
- Mail checks to PO Box 610 McCloud, CA 96057
- For questions contact Edie Adams, firstname.lastname@example.org or 530.964.2215